Sunday, August 22, 2004

English oral. The ultimate malu. Didn't go well. It's my fault too I guess. It's over anyway. Better do well for written paper.

2:45- I go out and sit down on the chairs outside the holding room. People comment on my relaxed posture. Little do they realize my legs are shaking.

2:50- I move into another classroom, where I get to read the passage and look at the pretty newspaper cutting for abt another 5mins. Tan cb and Ho ss were there. So I try to think of what each person in the picture is thinking.

2:55- Showtime. I walk into room F091 and say hi to the two examiners. They ask to see my IC. Its gets stuck in my wallet. At the transparent part. After about 30 seconds of fumbling, I present them my wallet, and they ask me if it's stucll.

2:56- I try to get my IC out again, this time turning my wallet upside down. A 10 -cent coin falls out. I continue to struggle, and finally get it out. At this point I'm pretty flustered so I just leave my wallet on the table. Examiner A and Examiner B laugh.

2:57- I rush through the passage. No major hiccup here. Estimated 9-11 out of 12. Perhaps I pronounced the word colleague wrongly.(Note: there was an argument at school the next day over whether the 'co' in colleague should be pronounced as 'co' or 'ke')

3:00- Picture time. It's a hairdressing place. Complete messup. This time they just stare at me. When A asks if we can go on to the conversation I say yes please. B smirks in what seems to be stifled laughter. Estimated 6-8 out of 12.

3:04- Conversation. Started off weak. Told me to describe a trip to the barber's. So I just start talking about how the barber is a very chatty malay man. They ask me if I try to strike up a conversation. I say no, because a)I don't get a chance to as he always starts and b)you don't ignore a man who has a blade millimetres from your neck. Lie a bit here and there. They laugh when I start making sound effects to describe the sound of the shaver and the sensitivity of my neck area. Then they ask me what I'm likely to learn the months after I leave school. So I just talk about working life. They look satisfied. A then asks me if I think young people put more effort into their work than older people. So I start saying yes, because they have more drive being new. I then look up.

Me:....so young people would explicably have more drive than older people.

I look up, and see them both staring at me. I also realized they are not very young. A looks like a 40-something mother, and B looks like a 38-year old trying to look like a 23-year-old. So I continue.

Me: However, in the later stages....

They start to nod again. Phew. Finish strongly with what seems to be a sophisticated "yes, and then no." conclusion. Hope they let me off. Estimate: 13-15, 11-14 if they see through my blatant lies.

Total Estimate: 26 to 34 out of 40. Hope this holds up. Now if I wrote this for my narrative essay I wonder what I would get.

---

Next is chem mock. Last year's O level paper I hear. Paper 1 was pretty manageable. Due to lack of study I gave away marks like I was being paid to do that.

So on saturday I flip open paper 2 and am greeted by a crossword puzzle, and I know that for once, I stand an actual chance of getting something other than a D7. Yes. The power of hope. It can lift spirits...........and also cloud people's minds, in my case.

---

John asked me to go jogging with him today, in an effort to boost his ego.

---

Watched AVP in the evening. Not a bad movie, but failed to live up to the hype, like freddy vs jason. Not much to say about it though. I'm not good at the sci-fi genre as a whole. I mean, as a kid I found the X-files scary.

-Wilfred, up late on saturdays. Catch him on msn.