Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Ok. Chinese was abit hard, but hey, can't do any worse than a B4. So it was a fun paper.

---

SS, however, was pretty much a mess. Didn't wanna waste time on SBQ so I just tried to keep it short and sweet- about half a page- 3/4 of a page each. As it turned out, the paper was longer than what I was normally used to. So it turned out normal. Kind of tricky,though. The questions were pretty dierct so it was hard to drag like I normally do.

Finished SBQ with 30 mins left. So saw Japan. Since I was in the mood for doing something japanese, and also because it was the only subject I really studied, I did it. Phew. I think I got away. Knew most of what to talk about. So just chiong lor.

On a side note, the examiners were really kind to us. Instead of making us think of our own points, they gave us the points and asked us to rank them. Too easy. I'll probably screw it up all the same though. Oh well.

---

And now... English tips!

1)You have time. So don't try to be smart and rush through the paper and sleep for 1hr. I used to do that and averaged a b3/b4. For prelim, I wrote my compo slowly and neatly(for once) and what did I get? 47/60. Though later reviews would suggest that it should have been 42. I'm not complaining though.

2) Keep it simple. When the papers do arrive at England, it will be winter. The markers want to go home and be with their family. So keep it short, don't make any grammatical errors and make your language easy to understand. So they can finish their quota and go home.

3) Don't try to show off. From what I hear, examiners really do hate it when people use too many big words because it hides the content of the passage. Even worse is when you pull something like that in paper 2. As long as the question does not say use your own words or without copying exact details from the passage, lift, dammit!

4) Check. I know this pretty much applies for every papers, but English is one of the few papers where you actually have a chance to go through again. And English is one of the papers where you are VERY prone to careless mistakes involving punctuation, spelling, tenses and grammar. Ecspecially check your summary.

5) Summary. Firstly, you MUST try to cram as many points as poosible into that 160 words. Secondly, this is where big words come in. Instead of "hard to move around", say "cumbersome". Instead of "Forcing him to tell the truth", just say "duress" or "coerce" or "interrogate", depending on what fits the situation. Thirdly, lifting will deprive you of precious language points. So replacing difficult words with simple words might work. I've gotten 8/10 for language bydoing simple stuff like replacing "on fire" with "fiery" and "noticed" wtih "detected".

That's it for now I guess. More suggestions can go to my tagboard.

-Wilfred, who just screwed his Os

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home