Saturday, July 16, 2005

What a tiring few days. I guess it happens with irregular sleeping hours.

Thank goodness I survived the lit presentation fairly unscathed. I had been working on the lit slides the previous night till like 3.30 in the damn morning. I was pretty much freezing by then since I was lazy to go turn up the aircon temp and chose to not feel my fingers as I went to sleep. Whooptee-doo.

What can I say. At least Karthi did what she said she would do and acted knowledgeable while not doing much else at all.

Now I have to finish reading Dracula, which, while being incredibly thick, is deemed interesting by people 50 pages into the book. Maybe I'll ask them again when their 300 pages in. At least I get to wait till week 9 before I do my presentation.

"Good or bad, I'm the guy with the gun!" I sure do like the sound of that. Kind of fits into my style of thinking. I'll probably be eating my words soon though.

---

Well, all the midyear results are out. While I didn't do outstandingly good, I didn't do outstandingly bad either, thank goodness. I hope they don't print stupid things like the top mark in the level, percentage groups and stuff. It's really dumb since parents being parents in the modern society of Singapore will just be as anal as they will always be which results in very angsty, misunderstood students.

Take a conversation with my mother, for instance :

M : How did you do for midyears?
W : E,O,E,F
M : Is that good or bad?
W : It's good enough to be promoted.
M : That's very bad, you know.
W : Then why did you ask me if that was good or bad if you were going to tell me it was bad.
M : You have to study hard, you know.
W : Yes yes, I know that.
M : Revise everyday, read newspapers for gp, practice maths often, .....
W : Yes I know that.
M : You're old enough, I don't want to have to tell you all this.
W : Then why in the world did you just do that.
M : What did you get E's for?
W : Lit & Econs.
M : Everyone else get A right?
W : What the hell do you think this is, PSLE?
M : Well I don't know, people in JC seem very hardworking...
W : Damn right you don't know.
M : What did you get F for?
W : Maths.
M : You need to practice maths everyday...
W : You just told me that like 2 minutes ago.
M : I shouldn't need to tell you this..
W : You're not listening. *strolls off, presumably to slack off*

A similar conversation occurred with my father later on, minus all the small details but with a whole lot more condescending tone added.

I don't understand why my parents fucking think everyone is getting A's while I'm getting something else. And in the rare occasion I do get an A, they think it's a borderline A. Like what the hell? A grade is still a freaking grade, god dammit. I think I'm just going to make minimal contact with them from now on. It's no use talking to them anymore. Not that talking to them used to be a frequent activity anyway. However, not talking to them basically means not watching TV, because that's basically all my parents do anyway, without noticing that students aged above 16 normally spend more time at school than they do at work. Of course, they're going to assume that I bum off 24 hours a day, which is totally not true since I actually do the occassional assignment, which is almost certainly not bumming off. What they also fail to realize is that JC does not equal O level. The third thing my parents are horrendously disillusioned over is that I have to be under their supervision, or I can't get anything done.

...

WHAT THE FUCK?! You might as well take me to the grave with you like an egyptian pharoah when you die, since I'm probably going to rot and die without you around anyway.

I'll probaby write about misconceptions of Singaporean parents sometime soon.

---

One more week. I might not look like it, and you might not detect it, but rest assured, I'll be counting the days. Things have been somewhat stale for a while now, but lets hope what was once familiar can be rediscovered.

---

I feel like puking now. Perhaps I should give cookng tips to my brother. Like never bake at 3am in the morning. And never make your muffins too big. And tell people you ran out of sugar only after they start to eat it.