Sunday, July 30, 2006

College Day is the most boring thing in the world kthx. Rather ironic how the head honcho preached to us about spending 20 hours a weekend studying, then the arbitrary CT decides it would be a good idea to send the guy who most needs studying to go for this ultimately arbitrary and useless event. I'm sure watching people I don't know take prizes for over an hour is really fun. Not to mention the school hyping up the GOH only for him to sound like a total moron. If his courses are the most popular in SMU, it has to be for the comedic value. It was, in fact, so boring that the entire row I was in was doing stuff like dozing off, reading books and doing their TYSes.

Thanks a lot, school.

---

Life is full of questions. Literally. There aren't exactly an infinite value of things to be known, but the number should be large enough that trying to find them all out would make the human head combust, since thinking about one thing would lead to a never-ending spiral of other things you'd then have to think about. Eventually you'd die, and die unsatisfied too, since the time it takes to figure out what all these questions are would easily exceed our lifespan.

Don't even get me started on the answers, I can't even do a simple math equation.

Information is a rather amazing thing. With information, it seems, comes knowledge. And with knowledge, they say, comes power. And with great power, says Stan Lee, comes great responsibility. And responsibility, which I've learnt as I've grown older, is bloody boring and irritating to have.

Case in point : magic tricks. They've always been an awful lot of fun, be it the coin appearing out of nowhere, the cards moving mysteriously, or how a jumbo jet can fly in the air faster than anything on land could hope to. I've had all three explained to me at length, and while I don't understand all of it, it does make the trick a lot less fun when you know there's an invisible string, or that the coin comes from behind the ear.

Similarly, in life, there are an awful lot of things and an awful lot of decisions to make. It's disconcerting.

I have a suggestion for you.

You do not think about anything.

The brain might be the most mysteriously and powerful things in a world full of mysterious and powerful things such as Condoleeza rice, wasabi and the television. You don't need to be smart for your brain to be clever, and incidentally, you can be super intelligent and your brain could be stupid. I don't understand much of what it does, (which, if you stop and think about it, is pretty strange in itself, since my brain is doing things itself that it doesn't allow me to understand), but I don't need to, since it just does them anyway.

Your brain makes many decisions for you without you needing to do much, if any, thinking about it. When you're about to cross a road and stop when you see a car, you don't have a internal monologue going something like :

This seems like a nice little spot on the road to cross, since I do need to get to the other side. Oooh, I could go right foot, then left foot. Or I could go left foot, then right foot. Or I could go left foot, then left foot, then....never mind that. Maybe it doesn't really matter. Unless I'm marching of course, but that would mean I'm in the army, in that case I shouldn't be thinking. At all.

Oh deary me, here comes, a car! Given the speed at which it's traveling, it hitting me would send me down the road instead of across it. Not to mention the wounds that should follow, they would make me fare a lot worse. It's doubtful that if I keep walking, the car would be able to brake in time. It's not likely that the driver has superhuman braking powers. I had better brake while I still can with my own feet. No more walking for me, no sir. Oh wait a minute, while I was talking to myself the car already went past.

You just don't. More likely, your subconscious will tell you to stop without you knowing it. A monologue like the one probably did happen, but your brain didn't feel like sharing it with you.

As your brain gets used to more and more situations, it'll do more things for you without you having to think about it. This is how good and bad habits form. It's also how experience and gut feelings form. When you have a gut feeling, it's your brain's way of saying "don't think about this, I've got the answer right here. You don't know how I've got it, but trust me." Of course, when it does turn out to be wrong, you'd know that life just screwed you over.

So, the solution to the A levels, and to many other things you probably do, is to endlessly repeat situations so your brain can get used to it. The more you let your brain, your subconscious handle things, the more space you have left to concentrate on the harder things, the things that really matter.

Savvy?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home